Hummus is a classic Middle Eastern dish and is excellent served as an appetizer or sandwich spread. Sweet roasted red peppers add a wonderful flavor to this variation.
Process in a high-powered blender until very smooth:
• 1 can (16 oz.) garbanzo beans, rinsed well and drained
• ½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
• ¼ cup sesame tahini
• ¼ cup olive oil
• 1 to 2 cloves fresh garlic (optional)
• 2 T fresh lemon juice
• ¾ tsp sea salt or kosher salt, or more to taste
• ½ tsp ground cumin
• ¼ tsp ground white pepper
• 2 T to ¼ cup water to assist processing
• garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and chopped roasted red peppers.
The hummus may seem a bit thin after processing, but keep in mind that because it contains olive oil (which hardens when chilled) it will thicken upon refrigeration; if it becomes too thick after refrigeration, simply incorporate a little water.